Part 2: Does God really speak?

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Link to Part 1
Part 2: There must be identifiable ways in which God speaks or a “modality” that shows us God speaking.


Recap from where we left off about communication as direct communication in Part 1:
- direct communication is words spoken
God has spoken his words and we have accounts from people hearing

- direct communication is also more than words (body language, tones, passion, etc.)
God doesn’t have a “body” so how do we hear if God’s communicating?
direct communication is “revealing” – i.e. it shares personhood in a process
- this is God’s primary objective

- the problems of direct communication for us
+ intellectually we find it hard to allow for the possibility of God speaking
+ historically the Bible has been used for reasons other than God’s
+ deeper communication, into revealing, is challenging work

We’ve already glanced at the problem: God doesn’t have a “body” per se, like you and I. Does that necessarily mean God doesn’t speak and can’t be heard? Or has God in history addressed that issue? Are there identifiable ways in which God speaks?

Looking from a human perspective, it’s difficult to imagine communicating taking place without some physical form. I have a hard time thinking outside of these standard ways of communicating: picking up my cell phone to call someone requires a body/physical interaction, typing into this blog or IM-ing requires physical touch, and writing a note or sending a birthday card requires my hands (and money). When I worked as a nurse with neurologically diseased and partially/severely paralyzed persons who couldn’t communicate in our ‘standard’ ways, I could watch their eyes, get a blink for yes, or help them adapt with what they could do. Still a body and physical interaction was able to take place in some way between us.

Perhaps that’s the clincher though. Adaptation to what is available to us. As a nurse one of the most important jobs I had was to find ways to help these patients be able to communicate with their outside world. Someone who didn’t know their challenges and hadn’t worked through those challenges with them, or who hadn’t spent time watching their normal behavior – would not understand how one of the nurses knew what a person was “saying” or “asking for.” It didn’t make sense to them.

I had learned to identify their “signs” and “behaviors.” Our communication efforts with them were based upon a couple of assumptions found to be true. First, we assumed that they wanted to communicate with us. Second, that we could mutually find ways for that communication to happen. Third, that they would want to find the means to do more than exist, but find ways of sharing with us who they were, what they liked, what they were thinking, and how they felt – personhood or the revealing side of communication. So, our team of medical staff set out to find and invent modes for them to communicate.

One patient was able to move one toe and one finger. Our medical team made a computer control pad that could be attached to their toe. One patient was deaf, and so our team worked with this patient to learn American Sign Language. One patient was mute and blind but could smile and nod their head. We found modes of interaction that worked. They were able to reveal to us who they were because each had a very different personality, liked very different things and expressed emotions or feelings in different ways.

I want to make two points. They are both about the modes in which God communicates, and I would simplistically call them “adaptive modes” God uses. First, is about the physical modes God employs to communicate personhood. That will be in Part 2A (God’s communicating in general) and 2B (a human body in Jesus Christ). Second, is to stay tuned for how we’re made to adapt to those modes on a soul level for Part 3.

3 comments:

lostone said...

It will be interesting to see where to you take this. I think I sometimes have a hard time hearing God because we live in a world of denial. Where smart people don't believe. James Cameron just released that film claiming to have found the burial place of Jesus and his family. Those communications are loud and impossible not to hear.
At night I try when I go over the the day in my mind I try to remember to look for God, Christ and the Holy Spirit everywhere and in everyone, but I don't always do a good job of doing it.

Sandy Boone said...

How are you doing?

Jesus is always speaking. That simply astounds me. I have a hard time calling you "lostone" because you are actually "foundone"! ; ) What's amazing is how clear it is to me that Jesus loves you and is calling out to you to keep reviewing your day to see all of the spots where he's been popping up. He's up to being a part of your life and wants you to know it. Man, God loves you. Wow.

I don't know too much about the Cameron film. I don't know if they've actually found the burial place or how they'd know. But Jesus ain't there anymore - and neither are his family. His family and skin and bones might be, but there's more to life and living than skin and bones.

I'll talk about the proof stuff soon. Scientists look for different kind of proof than was created by God in general. IN some sense, scientific work has lost it's ability to observe - I know because I used to be one, and I was trained by an amazing scientist who taught me about observing in different ways. Your doing that kind of observing by "reliving your day" at night.

I'm thankful for you and this prayer is for us: Lord, speak to us today in ways that we notice and hear. Allow us to spend quality time getting to know you and your will throughout the day today. How could we ever say thanks Jesus for your love for us and your faithfulness to us? I am in debt and gratitude that knowing you makes the day ahead an adventure. Wherever you take us today Jesus, it'll be unusual and exciting doing it with you. Let's go. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

-- Sandy

lostone said...

Thank you Pastor Sandy. I am sorry I didn't go back and see your comment before this. I guess my faith is immature and there for when therefore when someone else expresses different ideas I don't react well.
I know Christ loves me. I know people say life isn't fair, but I think that is the one way it is fair. Christ loves us all.
Thank you for praying with me.